Monday, November 24, 2008

facedown



last week i sat in my SOMA (greek for body: a christian group on campus dedicated to changing our campus with the gospel) group and was completely unengaged. you know, that feeling you get when you are physically in attendance, but you are emotionally absent? that's where i was. having just received my SECOND failing calculus quiz after working very hard, i was discouraged, and struggled to pour my heart into worship. oh, i sang. i read, i prayed. but engaged in the connection with my Saviour? in true communion and fellowship? nope.
i was not in the posture for worship.
i didnt know there was a posture for worship. but the Lord has been revealing there is.
and its facedown.
i mean, facedown.
smudging our noses with dirt. eyes to the ground.
grass stained knees.
thats where i desire to be. because i know where standing gets me. Psalm 1:1 says "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers."
look at that. "who does not walk", "or stand" "or sit".
how bout kneeling? how about facedown?
singer Mark Hall says that that verse, to him, demonstrates the way we can so quickly edge into sin by starting out walking, then we stop and stand, and before you know it, we are sitting. wallowing in depravity. distracted. keeping company with those who mock what Christ lived for. so why dont we let our knees being us closer to humility? i know why i dont. i am prideful.
i let my knees stay strengthened by pride.
i brace myself up on selfishness.
i secure my head with distraction.
i dont want to get "dirty".
i dont want grass stains on my knees.
i dont want dirt on my forehead.
but God is calling me to throw myself down.
okay Lord. draw me down. into a posture fit for worship. facedown.

No comments: